Picture windows are a great source of natural light in the home. They bring in such panoramic views of the outdoors into the house and can do wonders for your home’s aesthetic.
Plus, if you have a beautiful yard or landscape, it would be a “sin” to not have one –how else would you enjoy the surrounding breathtaking views from inside the house. But they have to be installed by expert window installers who know what they’re doing. Otherwise, things can go wrong very quickly.
At Opal Exteriors, our Elmhurst picture window installation contractors are experienced and skilled at installing new windows and replacing old ones at an affordable price. We will help you make the right picture window decision for your building and ensure that you get good value for your money.
Are Picture Windows a Good Idea?
That depends on what you are looking for in a window. If you want sweeping views of the outdoors from within the building and are not interested in opening or closing the window, then, picture windows are a great idea. They also offer many benefits:
- They’re more affordable –because they’re pretty straightforward to install and require no seal
- They are energy-efficient windows and great for people who prefer to conserve and lower their utility bills
- They can be installed without the need for glazing bars –this is great for providing unobtrusive views
- They can make your home look picturesque
- They have great curb appeal
- They are usually installed in hard-to-reach places so kids won’t be able to get to them
- They are awesome at bringing in a lot of natural light in places like stairways and tall foyers
- They make a very good impression on visitors
- The style is classic and will always be in demand
- They are easy to clean and maintain
- They are also more affordable
The only downside is that these widows can’t be opened or closed. So, if ventilation is a priority for you, then, you may want to go for other windows that open and close e.g. single and double-hung windows, awning windows, and a few other options.
High-quality, energy-efficient windows in your home
Types of Picture Windows
There are multiple types of picture windows that you can choose from. These include:
- Aluminum picture windows – These provide a contemporary polished look to the picture windows and the home. They’re also amazingly weatherproof, durable, and lightweight
- Wooden picture windows – If you’re more into the classic window style, but want a picture window, the wooden frame works great. The only challenge is that it may require considerably more maintenance than the aluminum types.
- Fiberglass picture windows – These windows are great for individuals who are on a budget but still want something sturdy. Fiberglass picture windows are particularly energy-efficient and tend to last very long.
- Vinyl picture windows – These are the least expensive picture windows on the market, so if you’re looking to have sweeping views without spending a lot of money, this might be your best option. And even though they are more affordable, they last long and can be easily maintained.
As you may have observed, the major cost differentiation is in the pane and the window frame. Picture window frames with higher energy efficiency tend to cost more than the less energy-efficient frames.
What Does Ot Cost to Install a Picture Window in Elmhurst, IL?
Installing a picture window costs anywhere from $350 to $1,600 per window unit. The factors that influence the cost include
- The type of glass
- The window material
- The glass panes
- Your energy efficiency goals
- The cost of labor
- The window style
All four factors influence just how much you’ll pay for your picture window. But the biggest picture window expense comes from the window frame. So, more expensive frames will attract higher costs and vice versa. Then, there’s also the window panes. There are various pane options that you can use:
- Low-E – These glasses are usually coated with metallic oxides and are designed to minimize the heat and UV rays from the sunlight. These are very energy efficient as they tend to reduce energy loss by as much as 50%.
- Single pane – This has just one glazed glass layer and because it’s a single-pane, it has very low energy efficiency, compared to the others. However, what it lacks in energy efficiency, it makes up for in affordability.
- Double pane – This has two glazed glass panes. It’s more common and is more energy efficient than the single-pane window.
- Argon-filled glass – This is very energy-efficient, which means it’s a very pricey picture window option.
- Laminated glass – This has 5x the insulation that a single pane picture window has, is noise-dampening, and blocks a larger percentage of UV rays. It is so strong that it can handle strong winds and impacts from high-velocity items like bullets.
Also, customized picture windows tend to cost considerably more than standard window types.
High-quality, energy-efficient windows in your home
Hire a Quality Elmhurst Picture Window Installation Expert
Choosing the best picture window for your home or property can be a daunting task. You need the help of experienced picture window installation contractors in Elmhurst, IL, to make the right choice.
This is why you should talk to us at Opal Exteriors. We’ll show you everything you need to know about the windows, provide the necessary guidance, and give you enough information so that you can make an informed choice.
Our Elmurst windows installers are experienced, skilled, and professional. We’re also licensed, bonded, and insured. And we’re committed to doing the best window installation for your Elmhurst property. Contact us today to schedule a visit or receive an estimate