The best time to replace your windows depends on your personal preferences and your exterior remodeling budget. If you want to avoid uncomfortable drafts that overwork your HVAC system, summer might be the best time for your window replacement. If you opt for a summer installation, visit the Opal Enterprises site to see our late summer home exterior tips.
Since most homeowners replace their windows when the weather is nice, wait times and prices are usually reduced during colder months. If you don’t mind the chill, consider replacing your windows in the fall or winter. Let’s learn more about the optimal times for window replacement, so you can decide when to have yours installed.
Why Spring Might Be the Best Time of the Year to Replace Your Windows
As previously mentioned, spring and summer are great times to replace your windows because you don’t have to deal with uncomfortably cold air entering your home. The warmer months are also ideal for applying caulk, the sealant that prevents air from leaking through your replacement windows.
When caulk is applied in temperatures below 40 degrees, it can come out uneven and allow gaps in your window’s seal to form. That being said, it’s also unwise to apply caulk in excessively hot temperatures, as extreme heat can prevent the substance from curing.
An Accommodating Contractor Can Make Fall and Winter Ideal Times to Replace Your Windows
Fall and winter are smart times for window replacement if you’re on a tight remodeling budget. Contractors typically have a lot of availability during those times, so you’ll definitely be able to schedule a replacement time that works for you. In addition, you probably won’t have to worry about your installation technicians showing up late from another job.
The one drawback to replacing your windows during the cold season is, you guessed it, the cold. Chilly air can infiltrate your home through window openings and make conditions quite uncomfortable. It can also cause your furnace to kick into overdrive, which will likely result in an energy bill increase.
However, there are actions you and your contractor can take to prevent drafts and increased energy consumption. When it comes time to replace your windows, here’s what you can do to keep the cold out:
- Close doors. Keep the door to the room where your having windows replaced closed throughout the entire installation process
- Don’t put in multiple windows at the same time. If you’re having multiple windows installed, ask your contractor to put them in one at a time.
- Section off the installation area. Ask your contractor to use temporary walls or insulating curtains to separate the installation site from the rest of your house.
Replace Your Windows in August and Get the Best of Both Worlds
Want to benefit from short wait times and reduced prices without having to let cold air into your home? If the answer is “yes,” August might be the best time for you to replace your windows. In August, most Americans are either on vacation or busy preparing their children for the coming school year.
Since most people are out of town or preoccupied during that time, window replacement contractors see very little business. As a result, they have more openings for installations in their schedule and are much more likely to offer a generous labor discount. If you don’t have any plans this August, it might be a good time for you to replace your old windows.
Learn more about our top-of-the-line products in Naperville 630-355-6557
How to Know When It’s Time to Replace Your Windows
There are a number of signs that will appear when it’s time to replace your windows. Familiarizing yourself with them can help you catch deteriorating windows early on, which will give you more leeway to schedule a replacement during a time that works for you.
Sometimes, it can be hard to tell if your windows are at the end of their lifespan or if you could get a few more years out of them. Here’s what to look for if your unsure whether or not it’s time to replace your windows:
- Condensation. If you notice condensation and moisture accumulation on your windows, it’s probably time to replace them. To prevent moisture from coming through again in the future, we recommend installing windows with double-pane glass.
- Hard to open. The best part about having windows is being able to open them on those perfectly warm and breezy days. If your windows get stuck often or are virtually impossible to open, it’s definitely time for a replacement.
- Water damage. If your window frames are soft or visibly decaying, they’ve probably sustained water damage. This can make them hard to operate and will also surely lead to mold growth. In this situation, the best course of action is to replace your windows as soon as possible.
- Increased heat transfer and loss. Heat transfer occurs when heat enters your home, while heat loss occurs when heat leaves your home. Preventing heat transfer and loss can keep your space comfortable, put less strain on your furnace, and help you save on your utility bill. If you notice a spike in your energy consumption or a draft, it’s time to replace your windows.
Get a free virtual consultation for Naperville or Des Plaines exteriors
Anytime Is a Great Time to Replace Your Windows When You Work With Opal Enterprises
No matter what time of year you choose to replace your windows, the team at Opal Enterprises will make sure you have a fantastic installation experience. To browse our selection of windows in person, visit one of our locations in Naperville or Des Plaines.
If you can’t make it out to one of our locations, we’d love for you to contact us and schedule a free virtual consultation. During your session, we’ll walk you through all our amazing window types and brands, like Andersen and Kolbe. Once we’ve found a window that suits your home, we’ll set up a replacement time that works for you.
Are you ready to transform your home? Schedule your free virtual consultation