Construction, barking dogs, and school bells ringing every weekday, these noises are all a part of living in a city. But if you aren’t fond of these noises, you have options of reducing and even eliminating them from your Naperville home with soundproof windows.
There are a few things you need to consider to determine whether soundproof windows are worth it for you. Our Naperville, IL, window replacement contractors at Opal Enterprises explain what aspects you should consider to find out if soundproof windows are worth it.
Noise Levels Near Your Naperville Home
The most important factor that can help determine if soundproof windows are worth the investment is how noisy it is near your home. If you’re surrounded by noises like constant construction, traffic, nightlife, and other city sounds, soundproof windows could help block out disturbing sounds.
In fact, a traffic noise study conducted in Naperville found that residents living along 95th to 103rd streets experienced high noise levels due to traffic on 248th Ave. As a result of this study, city officials are considering installing a sound barrier between 248th Ave. to help reduce traffic noise for these homeowners.
Investing in soundproof windows may provide a similar benefit for blocking out loud road noise, especially for houses located near major roads where sound barriers cannot be constructed. The level of ambient noise in your environment is a key indicator of whether soundproofing your windows could improve your quality of life at home.
High-quality, energy-efficient windows in your home
Your Budget for Your Window Replacement
Installing new windows helps with noise, but you’ll also have to consider the increased cost that comes with them. Windows that are effective at reducing noise levels around your home have up to three panes of thicker glass. In turn, this increases the cost of the overall window replacement.
So you’ll have to weigh if the noise around your Naperville, IL, home is unpleasant enough to invest in soundproof windows. Keep in mind that along with noise reduction, you’ll also be able to experience additional benefits of triple pane windows, such as:
- Higher energy efficiency: This means your home will retain more heat in the winter and keep it out in the summer. This will result in lower HVAC bills because you won’t have to use your air conditioning or heat as much.
- Reduced condensation: Triple pane windows are less prone to inner pane condensation issues that can damage wood surfaces over time from excess moisture buildup.
- Enhanced security: The thicker glass pane construction makes triple-glazed windows more resilient against break-ins from intruders.
- Improved durability: Outdoor temperature fluctuations have less impact on the window unit, increasing its lifespan before repairs may be needed versus standard double-pane windows.
Soundproof Window Options from Windows By Opal
One of our most popular options for soundproof windows is the Andersen Series triple pane windows. These triple-pane windows have two air pockets between the window panes to protect you from noise and cold or hot weather.
When you choose triple pane windows from Andersen, you can choose from coating options such as Low-E4®, SmartSun™, and HeatLock® to enhance your experience. Our Naperville, IL, window replacement professionals can install triple-pane windows for any window style in your home.
High-quality, energy-efficient windows in your home
DIY Soundproofing vs Professional Installation
If you’re looking to reduce noise coming through existing windows, there may be some temptation to take on a DIY approach and install soundproofing materials yourself. However, professional installation is strongly recommended for optimal noise reduction results.
While it’s possible to buy acoustic sealants, weatherstripping, and other soundproofing products online or at home improvement stores, the proper application requires skills that most homeowners do not have. Professionals have extensive training to measure, cut, and fit materials for an airtight seal around the entire window frame.
DIY projects also run a higher risk of installing materials incorrectly, which could damage the window or have no noise insulation benefit at all. Non-professional work is unlikely to provide the same STC (sound transmission class) rating improvements that our well-trained installers can achieve.
Most Common Window Types to Soundproof
Almost any window type can be soundproofed, but some windows benefit more due to their location in the home. Some of the most common types of windows our team soundproofs include:
- Casement windows: When fully sealed, the angled opening helps deflect exterior sounds upward rather than inside. Effective for bedrooms near streets.
- Double-hung windows: Upgrading seals, glazing, and adding storm windows can significantly improve sound blocking. The independently movable panels create an uninterrupted barrier when closed.
- Awning windows: Their sloped base is designed to direct sound over the home rather than in. Tight-sealing locks provide solid acoustic insulation.
- Sliding windows: Dual panels that securely interlock deliver strong soundproofing, making them suitable for busy living areas.
- Bay windows: The multipart design, when fully sealed, can block multidirectional sound intrusion better than standard styles. It is ideal for creating serenity near loud areas.
We Can Help You Afford the Soundproof Windows You Need For Your Home
If cost is a concern in affording your new triple pane soundproof windows, we offer home improvement financing so you can easily pay for your Naperville window replacement. With our financing options, you can get a 12-month same-as-cash loan with no interest for a year.
By working with Enerbank, we’re able to provide you with this opportunity. Within just 10 minutes, you’ll know whether if you’ve been approved for a loan. Our team believes that having a wonderful remodeling experience with our team shouldn’t depend on your financial status.
Learn More About if Soundproof Windows Are Worth it
Our team of Naperville, IL, window replacement specialists at Opal Enterprises can help you further decide whether you want to install soundproof windows in your home. We’ll go over additional benefits and discuss the costs associated with new soundproof windows.
Contact us to learn if soundproof windows are worth it to you and get a free quote when you want 2 or more windows installed.