It’s common knowledge that cutting down on your energy consumption will translate into lower bills each month. Heating and cooling costs are among the most significant monthly expenses for most households. You’ll want to ensure that your hot or cold air stays inside your home to minimize costs.
Somewhere around 30% of a home’s heated or cooled air escapes through the windows. And if the windows in your home are drafty, worn down, or not operating to their fullest, this number may be much higher. Therefore, consider replacing your windows to save money.
How Do I Know If I Need New Windows?
Windows don’t wear out overnight, and it can be easy to overlook the gradual loss of efficiency and curb appeal that occurs as they age. So, examine your windows occasionally for signs of age or energy loss. These are indications that it could be time for a replacement:
- Drafts: Air may be leaking through your windows if the temperature around them is noticeably different than in the rest of your home. Hold a candle near a window. If it flickers more as you get close to the pane, this signifies increased air movement from cold or warm exterior air entering the house.
- Poor operation: When you open and close a window, it should slide easily and effortlessly. If instead it sticks and requires effort to move, it may be swollen or warped with age.
- Condensation: Water droplets or fog on your window panes is not always a sign of concern. Though if condensation forms between the glass in your dual paned windows, this means the seal is not working, and air is getting through.
- Visible wear on frames: Over time, window frames will begin to appear worn. This doesn’t always affect their function, but decaying wooden frames will allow air and even water to get into your home from outside.
Are New Windows Worth the Investment?
Often, homeowners delay their window replacement projects because of cost concerns. However, new window installation is a wise investment that will pay for itself over time.
First, new windows will increase the curb appeal and resale value of your home. This means that if you decide to sell, the added beauty and energy savings can easily translate to significantly more money in your pocket.
Additionally, the installation of Energy Star windows can result in a 7-15% reduction in your monthly heating and cooling costs. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, this could mean a yearly savings of $155 to $352 for Illinois homeowners.
How Do New Windows Save Energy?
Replacing the old windows in your home with new ones will help you save energy, but how? Newer windows are equipped with several energy-efficient features designed to minimize heat transfer.
These features make it easier for your home to maintain a constant interior temperature, which means that your HVAC system won’t have to work as hard to keep your home comfortable.
Learn more about our top-of-the-line products in Naperville 630-355-6557
How to Choose Energy-Efficient Windows
When you’re searching for windows for your home, you’ll want to be sure that they are energy efficient so that you can reap energy savings. So, when searching for windows, check for the following factors:
- ENERGY STAR® label: This label is a government-backed designation awarded to windows that meet stringent guidelines for energy efficiency. If the windows that you’re considering don’t have this label, it’s best to keep searching for ones that do.
- Multiple panes of glass: Windows that come with multiple panes of glass, such as double-pane and triple-pane windows, provide greater energy efficiency than single-pane windows. That’s because the additional panes create pockets of air that help to prevent heat transfer.
- Added thermal performance features: Before selecting a window, look closely at what features they come with. Then, opt for energy-saving features such as low-E glass, gas fills, foam-filled frames, and spacer systems.
Get a free virtual consultation for Naperville or Des Plaines exteriors
Turn to the Professionals at Opal Enterprises
When you’re looking to save money by replacing the windows in your home, Opal Enterprises is the company to call. With locations in Naperville and Des Plaines, Illinois, we have been helping homeowners throughout the Chicagoland suburbs find the perfect windows for their homes. And we can help you, too.
To learn more about our energy-efficient replacement windows and expert installation, contact Opal Enterprises today. We’ll schedule a consultation to listen to your needs and help you choose new money-saving windows that are perfect for you.
Are you ready to transform your home? Schedule your free virtual consultation