Getting new or replacement windows can create significant anxiety for you as a homeowner, especially regarding project costs. Of course, the total bill will vary considerably from one window to the next, but you can expect to pay around $500 to $800 on average per window, including installation.
Factors like window quality and size will contribute to your final window replacement cost since some windows are inherently more expensive than others. Additionally, labor charges, the number of windows being replaced at one time, and even the time of year will have an impact on your bottom line.
What Time of Year Is Best to Replace Windows?
The busiest time of the year for window installation companies is during the warmer spring and summer months. This is because the dead of winter is not the time most people think about a home renovation project.
If cost is a concern, however, the fall and winter off-season might be the best time to replace your windows! Lower demand often translates to reduced prices for materials, faster scheduling, and better deals overall if an installer has a gap in their calendar that needs to be filled.
What about that frigid air pouring in the opening where your window used to be? Professional installers work fast and know how to minimize the impact this has on the comfort of your home. For example, they can:
- Remove and replace one window at a time, rather than removing multiple old windows before beginning installation
- Put up temporary walls made of plastic sheeting to block drafts
- Keep doors closed in the area where they are currently working
Should I Replace All My Windows at Once?
Another way to keep your window replacement cost under control is to replace more than one at a time. Although this won’t impact the cost of the new window itself, it will help keep certain overhead expenses under control. In addition, the more you have installed at once, the lower your average per-window cost will be.
For example, let’s say you hire a company to replace one window. They will give you an estimate based on what the job will cost them to complete, including factors like:
- Labor, calculated by the hour
- Setup and cleanup time
- Disposal fees
- Travel time and fuel
If you hire the same company to replace another window a month later, they will need to account for all of these things again in their new estimate. However, if they install both new windows on the same day, some expenses could be combined to reduce your total cost.
Are Window Replacements Worth the Cost?
Although the cost of new windows may seem prohibitive, it is an investment with attractive returns. Whether it’s a whole-home project or simply replacing one worn-out window, this upgrade will improve your property’s:
- Curb appeal: Beautiful new windows will add to the overall attractiveness of your home, impressing both your neighbors and potential buyers.
- Resale value: Property renovations like replacement windows will help to increase the value of your home, creating equity that you can get back if you decide to sell.
- Soundproofing: Old single-paned windows let a lot of outside sounds into your house, including passing trains, music from your neighbors, or car alarms from down the street. Newer dual- or triple-pane options are available to reduce this noise pollution.
- Energy efficiency: New windows, especially those that are EnergyStar certified, will do a better job of protecting your home from extreme external temperatures. This means your HVAC runs fewer hours, and you may save up to $583 per year on your energy bills.
Learn more about our top-of-the-line products in Naperville 630-355-6557
Why Hire a Professional?
You may think you’ll save costs by replacing your windows yourself. After all, labor costs are often a significant portion of a window installation estimate. However, trying to do it yourself may not save you money in the end.
A licensed, professional window installer can save you money by:
- Measuring the first time correctly: Professionals know how to measure and get the right window for your space, ensuring that you don’t make a costly error.
- Accessing wholesale prices on materials: You will have to pay higher retail costs for materials, while professionals pay less because of their wholesale discounts.
- Recognizing signs of more severe issues: If your window is hiding mold or rotting wood, you’ll need to fix the problem before putting in your new windows. But, again, a professional knows what to look for and can suggest cost-effective solutions.
- Getting the job done fast: An installer with years of experience will have a speedy, streamlined process for replacing your windows, which will reduce your labor costs.
- Knowing the building codes: If you try to modify a load-bearing wall or place your window in a position prohibited by building codes, you may end up having to pay significantly more money to fix your mistake.
Get a free virtual consultation for Naperville or Des Plaines exteriors
Trust the Professionals at Opal Enterprises
With almost 20 years in the business, Opal has the tools and knowledge to get your window replacement project done right and on budget. Schedule a free consultation today to discuss your home improvement goals and learn about the options available.
Don’t let window replacement costs keep you from getting the home you’ve always dreamed of. Thanks to our financing partnership with EnerBankUSA, you can get your new windows now and pay for them on your schedule. Contact us today to find out more about our current specials!
Are you ready to transform your home? Schedule your free virtual consultation